Pepperoni & Basil Pizza
- Ready in
For an easy weekend treat for friends and family look no further than DON® Pepperoni and basil pizza. Spicy pepperoni works beautifully with silky mozzarella and fresh basil.
- 450g (3 cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 310mls (1 ¼ cups) lukewarm water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 200g DON® Pepperoni, sliced
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup Parmesan, shaved
- To make the pizza dough, place the plain flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Make a well in the centre and add the water and olive oil to the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined and then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. It should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 minutes, or until the dough is almost smooth. Use the heel of your hand to push the dough away from you and then lift it with your fingertips and fold onto itself towards you. Turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat. Brush a large bowl with olive oil to grease. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it over to lightly coat the surface with the olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean, damp tea towel, followed by a dry tea towel and place in a warm, draught-free place to allow the dough to double in size – about 1 hour.
- Knock back the dough, and knead lightly in the bowl for 20-30 seconds or until the dough is smooth and has returned to its original size. This dough makes 2 pizzas with thin, crispy crusts.
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until almost large enough to line the prepared pizza tray. Lift onto the tray and use your hands to gently ease the dough out to the edge.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread tomato paste, avoiding the edge. Top with DON® Pepperoni and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until base is golden, and cheese has melted.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.