Ploughman’s Platter with Pickled Vegetables, Onion Relish and Manchego
This platter is perfect for lunch and even when entertaining. A light meal perfect on a summer’s day.
- 1 celeriac, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 ¼ cups white wine
- 1 ¼ cups white wine vinegar
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- ½ bunch thyme, half leaves picked, half as sprigs
- 6 bay leaves
- Seasoning, to taste
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into batons
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 200g picking onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500g Don Sliced English Leg Ham
- 3 tbsp seeded mustard
- 200g Manchego
- 1 baguette
- Blanch celeriac, carrots and cauliflower in salted water until tender. Refresh in iced water and drain.
- Bring wine, vinegar, ¼ cup sugar, mustard seeds, thyme sprigs and bay leaves to boil. Season to taste and remove from heat.
- Mix cucumber, celeriac, carrot and cauliflower with pickling liquid. Allow to cool then refrigerate.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions until clear, add remaining sugar and thyme leaves. Cook until sugar dissolves. Season and allow to cool.
- Arrange ham on platter with pickles, onion relish, mustard, Manchego and baguette.