- A wide variety of specialty meats from Europe.
Context: “Dorian is ready to serve a platter of continental meats.”
Varieties of continentals
- A rustic, coarse-cut sausage inspired by the exotic flavours of Spain. Numerous varieties are available; most are cured with a blend of smoky paprika, garlic and herbs.
- A typically thinly-sliced meat made from the leg of the pig which undergoes several weeks of salting and up to two years of air curing. The meat loses moisture to form a beautifully delicate, sweet, nutty and floral piece of meat with salt as the only additional ingredient.
- A spicy, smoked Australian continental made with pork and beef.
- Based on the Slovenian recipe, the Kransky is a coarse-cut continental sausage made with pork and beef which is filled into a natural casing and smoked. It can also be flavoured with cheese or chilli.
- Black pudding
- A traditional blood sausage made with barley, delicate meats and pork blood, which gives the pudding its mineral flavour and dark colour. Black pudding is great with a big breakfast or scallops. French black pudding is known as ‘boudin noir’.