Chorizo & Pea Paella
- Ready in
New addition to the family dinner rotation, this paella will become a firm favourite. Because who doesn’t love the flavours of smokey chorizo, oozing through a tomato studded rice!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 × DON Spanish Style Chorizo, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- 3 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Pinch saffron threads
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Pre-heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and cook the sliced chorizo until just crisp. Set aside on paper towel.
- Wipe out the pan and add remaining oil. Add onion and garlic, cooking for several minutes until tender. Stir in the rice, followed by the stock and saffron. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir in the tomatoes and ¾ of the cooked chorizo. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is almost cooked through.
- Add the peas and continue to cook for a further 6-8 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the remaining chorizo and parsley. Accompany with lemon wedges and freshly ground black pepper.
- Tips: Make a small cross in the base of each tomato and plunge into boiling water for a couple of minutes, remove from water and peel away the skin. Then dice the tomatoes. Add some prawn cutlets in when adding the peas if you choose, ensuring they are cooked all the way through before serving.