Locro Argentino, Spring Onion Sofrito & Toasted Sourdough
- Ready in
- Makes 4 serves
Brought to you by Dan Szwarc, head chef of Asado & owner of Dan’s Empanada Bar, this traditional Locro will bring the flavours of Argentina straight to your kitchen. Create your own weeknight family tradition with Dan’s Locro and Spring Onion Sofrito made with DON® Kabana, DON® Chorizo and DON® Premium Butcher’s Style Bacon.
- 200g DON Kabana
- 375g DON Chorizo
- 200g DON Premium Butcher’s Style Bacon
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 - 2 green chillies
- 250g sweet corn kernels
- 1 leek
- 1 large brown onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 250g butter beans
- 250g white corn
- 1 small Japanese or Kent pumpkin
- 200mL extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 50g dried capsicum flakes
- 1 good quality sourdough loaf
- 100g wedge of parmesan cheese
- Salt, Pepper, and Paprika to taste
Spring onion sofrito (Quiquirimichi):
- Slice your spring onions and slice the green chili, seasoning with 1 tsp of paprika and salt to taste.
- Add 200ml of oil to a small pot and place on the stove on high heat and heat the oil until it is almost smoking. Carefully pour the oil over the spring onion and chilli mix in a heat-proof bowl, and set to the side allowing the mixture to simmer and infuse the flavours.
- Dice your DON Kabana, DON Chorizo and DON Premium Butcher’s Style Bacon into chunky pieces.
- Prepare your vegetables by dicing the pumpkin and slicing the celery, leek, and garlic, and dicing the brown onion. Remove corn from the husk and set vegetables to the side
- a. I’ve used corn husks however, you can use frozen or canned corn, whatever you have in your house!
- Add ¼ cup of oil to a large pot and allow to warm up on medium heat. Once heated, add in the chopped Kabana, Bacon and Chorizo, cooking for 5 minutes or until the meat has browned slightly.
- Strain the meat and keep the meat-infused oil in a bowl, leaving it to the side.
- Using the same pot, add the diced onion, chopped leek, celery and garlic, adding the meat infused oil you put aside if required.
- Add the sweet corn, diced pumpkin and bay leaves, continuously stirring the vegetables and coating them in oil. Add 1.5L boiling water to the pot, lower the temperature and allow to simmer for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, add in the DON Kabana, Bacon and Chorizo to the pot.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes before adding the white corn and butter beans. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and season the Locro with 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp nutmeg, 50g dried capsicum flakes and cracked pepper to taste.
- Serve with toasted sourdough, 1 tbsp of spring onion sofrito (or as much as you like!) and grated parmesan on top.