Portarlington Mussels & Tomato Spaghetti with DON® Real Diced Bacon
- Ready in
- Makes 4 serves
Brought to you by Reuben Davis (former executive chef, Elektra Dining Room), this spaghetti with DON Real Diced Bacon and mussels can be served straight from the pot on your table for the whole family to enjoy!
- 1 × 250g pack of DON® Real Diced Bacon
- 500g local mussels
- 1 × 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 × fresh red chilli
- 1 × brown onion
- 2 × cloves of garlic
- ¼ bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 100ml olive oil
- 150ml white wine
- 250g dried spaghetti
- 1 × lemon
- 50g x parmesan
- Fresh crusty bread to serve
- Heat a large heavy bottom saucepan on a medium heat and put a large pot of boiling water on the stove and bring to the boil. Season water with salt.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion and garlic, deseed the chilli and slice.
- Put the oil into the saucepan, add the DON Real Diced bacon and cook for 5-10 mins until golden and crispy.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli to the bacon and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and white wine and bring the saucepan back to a high heat to reduce it down.
- Place the spaghetti into the pot of boiling water and submerge. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until al dente.
- Add the mussels to the saucepan and cover. Steam for around 5-6 minutes until the mussels all open. Remove any mussels that don’t open.
- Toss the spaghetti through the mussel mixture.
- Chop parsley, grate some parmesan and sprinkle both on top, along with a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the crusty bread and a wedge of lemon.