Tacos with DON® Mild Hungarian salami, chicken, corn & avocado salsa
- Ready in
- Makes 4 serves
Brought to you by Mark Sainsbury, Executive Chef at Park Hyatt Melbourne, these tasty tacos bring a world of flavours to your weekly Taco Tuesday! Create your own Mexican family fiesta with Mark’s Chicken Tacos with DON® Mild Hungarian Salami Salsa.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 clove fresh garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp Mexican spices
- 1 tbsp olive oil for the rub
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 150g DON® Mild Hungarian salami diced
- 2 corn cob-grilled or seared in the pan
- 1 small chilli habanero thinly sliced – beware they are really hot!
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 Fresh tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, squeeze to taste
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10mL apple cider vinegar
- 8 soft tacos
- 100mL sour cream (or natural yoghurt)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to reduce thickness. Marinate the chicken breast with 1 tbsp of the pre-made spice, salt and pepper, sliced garlic and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Set aside to marinate for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the corn cob, remove the husk and wash in water. Season the corn cob and rub with olive oil.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat (or if you have a grill pan that will work well) and char corn cobs on all sides for 7 – 8 minutes. Allow them to cool before removing the kernels and placing in a large bowl.
- a. You can also use frozen corn, but I love adding that char grilled flavour to my tacos.
- Remove the skin from the DON® Mild Hungarian Salami and dice into chunky pieces.
- Heat up a fry pan to medium-high heat and add half of the salami to the pan. Place chicken in frying pan with olive oil on top of the salami, allowing the salami to release the spicy flavour until golden brown. Remove the salami from the pan and continue to cook the chicken through for 8 – 10 minutes. Remove and rest for 5 – 7 minutes while you prepare your tacos and filling
- Warm the tacos in a pan on high heat for 30 seconds and then set aside and cover with a cloth to keep them warm. If you drizzle a small amount of water into the pan before adding the tacos, this will help them to stay moist and pliable.
- a. I’ve used an Indian Dosa pan however, you can use a fry pan or even warm them up in the microwave if you’re pressed for time!
- Shred the chicken with a couple of forks and add half the cooked DON® Mild Hungarian Salami (diced finely) into the bowl and stir through to combine
- Dice the red onion, tomato, fresh chili and avocado.
- In the corn bowl, add the remaining fresh salami, tomato and red onion and mix. Add in the chilli – you can add as much or as little as you like – depending on how much spice you and your family prefer!
- Top with chopped coriander, a squeeze of lime and diced avocado, and mix through.
- Thinly slice zucchini and carrot and dress with the apple cider vinegar before assembling the tacos.
- Assembling Tacos: you can let your family do this or assemble the tacos for them ready to go.I like to place the crunchy salad at the base, add the salsa and shredded chicken before drizzling with sour cream that has a squeeze of lime juice in it and chopped coriander. Enjoy!