- 250g penne pasta
- DON® Crafted Cuts Streaky Bacon 180g
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2 egg yolks
- 25g pecorino, plus extra to garnish
- 1 sprig of basil, leaves torn
- Pinch salt and freshly cracked pepper
Recipe by: Justine Schofield
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Heat a pan over a low heat and add the streaky bacon, slowly bring up the heat to allow the bacon to slowly render and become crisp. Add the zucchini, garlic and chilli and toss in the bacon and fat. Add a ladleful of water to allow the zucchini to soften and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook until just al dente.
- Meanwhile combine the yolks with the pecorino and freshly cracked pepper with half a ladleful of pasta water.
- Add the drained pasta (reserve a small glass of cooking water) to the zucchini mixture. Take the pan off the heat and stir through the egg and pecorino mixture. Add a little splash of the cooking water and keep tossing the pan until it becomes a cream-like sauce. Toss through basil and serve with extra pecorino on the top.